Hey Hey Hey friends! Happy Thirsty Thursday – this one’s for ages 21+ – sorry kids 😉 I love love love mimosas, sometimes a little too much but that’s okay. The only way I drink orange juice is if it’s a mimosa hahaha I never was a fan of OJ as a kid. I was an apple juice –> cranberry juice kid. Cranberry juice is my favorite – I always order it as my complimentary drink on every flight I take haha I love it. Moving forward, I feel like most people know how to make a mimosa, very simple, but sometimes may be confused with portions – there are so many variations but I wanted to share mine that takes about 60 seconds to prepare:
You Will Need:
- Cranberry juice cocktail
- Your favorite champagne [mine is Barefoot Bubbly Brut Cuvée, or anything Barefoot really 🙂 ]
- Optional: Fresh rosemary sprigs and/or fresh cranberries used as a garnish
- Fill champagne flutes ⅓ full with cranberry juice cocktail. Add a splash of orange liqueur. Fill remaining ⅔ of glass with champagne.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and fresh cranberries, if desired.
This is more of a holiday drink but I’m different, yeah, I’m different and drink them year round. I love ’em. I hope you all have an amazing Thursday. I am heading to the Jersey shore for another good old fashioned family vacation. Therefore, I will not be posting on here at all next week, but follow my Instagram account (@dailydoseofshannon) for Week 5 CHAARG Booty Camp challenges and watch my story to see what goodies I will be having next week. See you on Monday, July 24 xoxo
All of my Harry Potter friends, this week’s Thirsty Thursday recipe is just for you. I have an unhealthy obsession with Harry Potter – I have read all of the books a dozen times throughout my whole life and in honor of the 20th anniversary year, I will be reading the series. Again. Another trip to Orlando to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is also in the works some time in January or February. I have not been there since 2012 and it was not completely built yet but my best friend Rachel and I tried the Butterbeer and Pumpkin Juice when we were there and we were huge fans. 2018 will be a magical year, indeed. This tasty smoothie recipe is the healthier version of the Butterbeer found in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, it is sugar free and vegan.
You Will Need:
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup dates
- ¼ cup cashews (roasted or raw)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- ½ frozen banana
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan caramel sauce
- 2 ice cubes
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Place dates and cashews in a bowl. Cover with 1 cup of hot (nearly boiling) water and allow to sit for 1 hour-overnight to soften.
- Drain dates and cashews well.
- Blend together dates, cashews, almond milk, vanilla, and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Refrigerate caramel sauce until you are ready to make smoothies.
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour 2 tbsp caramel sauce down the sides of a glass and top with smoothie mixture.
- Enjoy! 🙂
The key to the perfect Butterbeer smoothie is making a vegan caramel sauce with dates and cashews. It is creamy and delicious without sugar. I never knew fruit and nuts could mimic dairy and sugar so well. This caramel sauce also makes for a fantastic apple dip. The result is a tasty smoothie that has no sugar, no artificial coloring, and it is vegan! It is the perfect summer treat for healthy people who love Harry Potter.
Happy Thursday Loves! I leave for the beach with my family two weeks from tomorrow so I am starting a solo 14-day Belly Buster Challenge and I am so excited – I did this challenge with a few friends back in January and I absolutely loved it. I am excited to do this again because this is my favorite smoothie. Here is the recipe and why I personally chose each ingredient. Feel free to adjust it any way your heart desires ☺️
You Will Need //
- 1 packet of Plexus Slim [regulates blood sugar, cholesterol, + lipid levels // burns fat, not muscle. The chromium is responsible for cell signaling aka helping your cells talk to each other. Carbs, high sugar, fatty foods interfere with cell signaling + consuming too much are one of the main reasons you get sick. Basically Chromium is our BFF]
- 1 packet of Plexus P96 [contains 20+ vitamins + minerals – cold processed through + through so you actually get all of the nutrients it says. I learned about 95% of protein powders are warm processed + the heat destroys the nutrients they claim to have)
- 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk [EW I do not like anything else coconut except this – literally the only exception. So why coconut? Well, because this + slim + P96 are a triple threat powerhouse to burning fat. Coconut milk is a natural thermogenic to burning fat + boosting your metabolism because it contains medium-chained fatty acids, so instead of processing carbs through the blood stream + storing them as fat in your body like most milks do, it processes them through the liver + stores them as carbohydrates for energy]
- 6 sliced strawberries [aside from being my favorite fruit, I have a family history of heart conditions – the polyphenol content in strawberries reduces risk of cardiovascular disease by preventing platelet build-up + reducing blood pressure via anti-inflammatory mechanisms]
• 1 frozen ripe banana [primarily for potassium + magnesium purposes – I get muscle cramps when I do not eat a banana before or after a workout/run]
- Combine all five ingredients in a blender until you reach your desired consistency.
- Enjoy! 🙂
One more day until the holiday weekend begins. Make the best of today, friends! xo
Happy Thursday, friends! Let’s end this warm summer Thursday with a delicious two-tone sunset smoothie that will take good care of your body while its color will bring you nothing but positive vibes! I am crazy about smoothies. In my mind, they are the perfect way to refill on nutrients and vitamins using fruits that are in season. I absolutely love fruit. Strawberries are my absolute favorite and apricots are a close second so this smoothie is basically heaven in a glass:
This smoothie is full of vitamins that your body truly needs. While both strawberries and apricots provide a great quantity of Vitamin C, which is known for its antioxidants to fight off disease, the apricots are also a good source of vitamin A, which is actually great for your skin! Give this summer mood sunrise smoothie a try and let your skin shine. Have a fabulous Thursday!
For the last two weeks, the temperatures have been in mid 80s and low 90s in Chicago… talk about a major heat wave!! I think it is safe to say that Summertime Chi has officially arrived which means that fresh strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are now cheaply accessible in local farmers markets! Summer is all about the farmer’s markets and fresh berries – would you agree, friends?
This is one of my favorite smoothie recipes – it includes 3 of my favorite fruits: strawberries, bananas, and pineapples. There is something about the way the sweet flavor of the strawberry and banana mixes with the tropical taste of the pineapple. Delicious. Blend it with some milk (I use skim but almond or coconut milk are also fine… whichever you prefer), throw in some ice cubes to quickly chill it and you will have a healthy, filling smoothie made in less than 2 minutes.
- 4 strawberries with stems removed
- 1 banana
- ½ cup fresh pineapple – cubed
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Handful of ice cubes
- Add strawberries, banana, pineapple, milk, and ice cubes into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your glass and enjoy.
I head to Pittsburgh this weekend so I got rid of all my fruit so that it would not go to waste. Tomorrow is Friday!! 🙂